MANCHESTER, Mo. – Sheila Frost was stopping for lunch at the McDonald’s on Manchester Road when she got a surprise near the drive-thru.
“I saw the car and my husband and I are big NASCAR race fans,” Frost said. “We’ve gone to a lot of races and saw it and had to do a quick U-turn and get some pictures to take home and show my husband.”
The car, Bubba Wallace’s #23, won first place at Talladega last year. Wallace’s car will be making the proverbial pitstop at various McDonald’s restaurants in the St. Louis area this week.
“It’s not the new generation they have, but last year’s car. What we do is take it out in the market before race weekend,” said Steve Doody, McDonald’s Talladega Victory Tour marketing manager. “We were in Charlotte last week and this week in St. Louis. And we’ll do about two McDonald’s a day, so race fans can see the car and touch it and see what one looks like up closely.”
The 700-horsepower stock car is part of 23XI Racing, co-owned by NBA legend Michael Jordan and driver Denny Hamlin.
On Friday, Wallace will drop by the East St. Louis McDonald’s to sign autographs and maybe sell a few French fries from 11 a.m. until noon.
Bubba Wallace himself will take to the track on Sunday, June 5, for the Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway.
“We’re excited about the race for next week,” Frost said. “Coming to St. Louis area and Illinois, and all the drivers that are going to be here. We’ll be watching it on TV, for sure.”
2022 NASCAR WEEKEND FAN SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, May 31
- 4-6 p.m. — Special beer release at Annheuser-Busch Biergarten (1127 Pestalozzi Street, St. Louis).
- 6:45 p.m. — St. Louis Cardinals racing-themed evening (Busch Stadium, downtown St. Louis).
Wednesday, June 1
- 9 a.m. — Campgrounds open.
Thursday, June 2
- 4-8 p.m. – WWTR NASCAR fan fest at Ballpark Village (Busch Stadium, downtown St. Louis).
- 6 p.m. — NASCAR haulers depart WWTR staging lot.
- 6:30 p.m. — NASCAR hauler parade passes Ballpark Village and Busch Stadium.
- 7 p.m. — Haulers return to WWTR for parking in garage area.
Friday, June 3 — Richard Petty Day presented by Bommarito Automotive Group
- 6:30 a.m. — Parking lots open.
- 10 a.m. — Spectator gates, Infield Fan Experience and midway open.
- Noon — Recommended arrival for best race day experience.
- 1 p.m. — NASCAR Speediatrics.
- 2:10 p.m. — Richard Petty Q&A on midway stage.
- 3:30 p.m. – Ribbon-cutting ceremony on start-finish line.
- 3:45 p.m. — Ceremonial first NASCAR Cup Series car laps by Richard Petty.
- 4 p.m. – Inaugural NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 300 practice.
- 5 p.m. — NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota 200 practice.
- 5:30 p.m. — NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota 200 qualifying.
- 6:30 p.m. – WWTR track dog Gateway Stanley’s Paw Party, doggie meet-up for campers.
- 7 p.m. — NASCAR garages and Infield Fan Experience closed.
- 7:30 p.m. — #CupTimeSTL Short Track Classic at Tri-City Speedway (5100 Nameoki Road, Granite City, IL) featuring World of Outlaws Late Models, MOWA Sprint Cars and NASCAR drivers in competition.
Saturday, June 4 — NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 3—qualifying, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota 200, music festival
- 6:30 a.m. — Parking lots open.
- 7 a.m. — Spectator gates, Infield Fan Experience and midway open.
- 8 a.m. — Recommended arrival time for best race day experience.
- 10 a.m. — NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 300 qualifying.
- 12:30 p.m. — NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota 200 (160 laps, 200 miles).
- 2-4 p.m. — No inbound traffic permitted during this period.
- 2:30 p.m. — WWTR SpeedFreaks Live!
- 3 p.m. — Thrills & Throttles (featuring St. Louis’ hottest 100 cars) pit road party.
- 4-9 p.m. – Saturday Twi-Night Concerts (Turn 1 stage, free with truck race admission).
Sunday, June 5 – Inaugural NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 300 presented by TicketSmarter
- 6:30 a.m. – Parking lots open.
- 7 a.m. – Spectator gates, Infield Fan Experience, midway open.
- 8:30 a.m. — Midway Music Stage opens.
- 9:30 a.m. – Recommended arrival time for maximum race day experience.
- 9:45 a.m. – WWTR Race Day Live! with Kenny Wallace (Midway Stage).
- 10:30 a.m. – Fans’ track walk, concert stage access begins.
- 11 a.m. – First music act (TBA).
- 11:45 a.m. – Second music act (TBA).
- 12:45 p.m. – Third music act (TBA).
- 2 p.m. – NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 300 driver introductions.
- 2:30 p.m. – Inaugural NASCAR Cup Series Enjoy Illinois 300 presented by TicketSmarter (240 laps, 300 miles).
Suggest a Correction